Wednesday 14 September 2011

Autumn.

"How beautifully leaves grow old.  How full of light and color are their last days." -John Burroughs

I remember once when I was still young enough to never question magic, I saw it first hand on one Halloween eve. The sun had not set yet, but it hung low in the trees, peaking through at me from behind leaves. I was the first to be ready for trick or treating, so I set out on my own as a preview before we all left together. I lived on a quiet road with friendly neighbours, a road so quiet that you could lay on its street in the summer without being interrupted once! On one side of the street was my big beautiful white house with black shutters, and on the other side was a big forest rich with the memories and whispers of pioneers past. I didn't go far, I wasn't allowed, I set out only to the two house that were directly beside my own.  As I walked I noticed the sweet scent in the air, one of woodsmoke and crunchy leaves. I looked around me, the sun had made a pattern on the street, as it shone through the forest. I then heard a soft rustle near by, it was a black owl that had swooped from one side of the street to the other. It now sat in its new spot and looked at me. I stopped and stared and it, and it stared at me. I then noticed another owl, this one gray and sitting nearer to the street, it to looked at me. I then looked up at a soft "hoo", and saw a third owl sitting right above me on a branch that hung over the road. I smiled. This was magic and I knew it. When I think back to this story, I like to think that the forest had sent them to me as guardians for my venture. A blessing and a gift from the trees to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment