Wednesday 21 December 2011

The Start of Somthing Old and New: - The Look: Hair 1920s

After watching Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris, I fell in love with the past. In particular the golden era of the 1920s. Post World War One, and pre Great Depression and World War Two, it was a golden twilight zone, the eye of the storm.This movie captured the essence of an era and generation of creativity and passion.

  I longed for the grace, confidence, and style that the women  and men of this film exuberated. From the cool untouchable knowing of Hemingway to the willing and eager heart of the leading lady. Knowledge and confidence lead all.I finished the movie feeling eager; eager to push for more, eager to follow my heart, and more than anything, eager to learn more about the decade that knew a secrete to life.

I began my exploration of the past by gathering as many images as I could from the 20s and 30s. Pictures of Marlene Dietrich, Clark Gable, Bette Davis, and Jean Harlow helped me gain more insight into their 'look'. As I looked at their pictures, watched or read clips of their work, and poured over their stories, I kept thinking: "They don't make people like this anymore". Hollywood no longer produces fabulous, magnetic, talented actresses and actors, rarely are there books where heart and soul are laid into pages. The era produced unforgettable people who dug their heels into life, took it for what it was, and unashamedly used it. I am going to make it a goal for myself to learn, explore, and discover these interesting times and people, in the hope that I will gain some of the spirit that lead so many of them in amazing directions.                                                                        Hair
I shall start from the top and then work inwards.. I have started to incorporate the 20s into my own look by finger curling my hair. I have now done my hair like this twice, once for a birthday party, and again for a Christmas party. The results were great, and it made me feel differentconfident, and unique. This is the video I used to learn how to create an authentic Finger curl.



No comments:

Post a Comment